Last updated: September 7, 2020
How to Use a Portable Band Saw? 9 Steps (with Images)
By Herbert Dorman
How to Use a Portable Band Saw? 9 Steps (with Images)
The popularity of using a portable band saw is increasing day by day. D.I.Y. enthusiasts, carpenters, woodworkers, and other professionals are using this saw when they have any cutting job.
A portable band saw can cut metal and other related materials proficiently. By using a portable band saw, a person can perform a task where electricity is unavailable, or when they need to do the cutting job away from their workplace.
A portable band saw is an efficient performer in cutting pipe from 4” – 6” diameter. But if you don’t know “how to use a portable band saw,” you can’t perform the task efficiently.
So, it is advisable, before starting to use a portable band saw, learn to operate it. Find the below basic steps to learn the operating procedure of this versatile tool.
How to Use a Portable Band Saw? Step by Step Operating Procedure
Step 1: Purchase or rent a portable band saw
To purchase a commercial tool, you need to afford an expensive cost. And they are a bit heavyweight too. The majority of the portable band saw falls in both categories.
However, read out the below options that are available with a portable band saw.
- Capacity: You should not purchase a portable band saw that can’t take the material or stock due to less throat diameter. So, learning about the band saw capacity is significantly important. The best portable band saws have the capacity to cut up to 6” width diameter material. On the other hand, a regular portable band saw can cut up to 4” width diameter material.
- Source of power: If you are working in a place where electricity is unavailable, then you have no other choice to select a battery-powered band saw. However, the battery-powered band saw is more expensive than an electrical band saw. Also, you need to keep your eyes too on the battery life because if the battery finishes during an operation, you will be out of work.
- Choice of a brand: You will not find any difference between the top-level brands in terms of the features of a portable band saw. The leading brands are DeWalt, Ridgid, Porter-Cable, and to name a few are offering a wide range of portable band saw. Besides, if you want to purchase or rent a portable group saw from a discount retailer, be sure that they will not offer you a high-quality product at a reasonable price. Be aware while purchasing a power tool, because you may lose yourself in the oceans of the portable band saw.
Step 2: Practice with the tool and be familiarized
Once you finish purchasing or renting, give some trial to get yourself familiarized with the tool.
Portable band saws come with a trigger switch and contain an adjustable speed selector so that you can move the saw blade as per your required speed.
Step 3: While operating, use your both hands to operate the tool
This will permit you to guide the tool through control maintenance. You should be familiar with the other remarkable components.
- Adjustment of the track: This option will let you fine-tune the track of the bandwidth blade as it rotates around the rear-drive pulley and the forward idler pulley. Because the position needs to be adjusted as it is floating with a spring tension hub, the alignment will confirm the travel of the blade will be correct on these 2 pulleys.
- Tension release handles: You will find the handle that is placed at the front end of the band saw. It gets released and permits the user to alter the band saw blade without any concern if the blade gets dull.
- Cutting shoe: The flat guide is made of metal that will assist the blade saw user for pulling bladed teeth along with the cutting stock. It helps to ensure that the metal corners will not be pulled into the rear-drive pulley when cut.
Step 4: Read out the instruction manual intently
A portable band saw is powerful enough to cut any material started from soft copper to cast iron.
So, there is no doubt if you give less care while cutting metal, you may lose your finger. That is why it has been said to use both hands while operating a band saw. To operate it with your both hands, you will find handles located at the backside of the saw. The good news is; the handles are much away from the blade.
Step 5: Wear proper dress while using a portable band saw
PPE like safety goggles, gloves are mandatory during an operation with a portable band saw. Avoid wearing loose jewelry or clothes. These can be caught easily by the moving blade.
Step 6: Hold the pipe using a piece of cloth
During a cutting performance, the pipe or bar may spin when it comes in contact with the blade due to the excessive friction. Thus, you may lose control and to prevent this problem, take a piece of cloth or any other material to hold the pipe or bar comfortably.
Step 7: Mark the material with the correct angle
The pipe needs to be marked around the diameter to confirm a smooth finish.
Step 8: Execute the cut
Position the saw blade opposite to the pipe. Don’t apply any excessive pressure to the saw blade to cut the pipe. During the operation, make sure the saw blade is cutting following the angle mark. When the cut is about to finish, hold the pipe tightly. Because that time the pipe may give a jerk. Also, confirm that the cut pieces are falling into the right place.
Step 9: Finish the cut
Once the cutting is finished, release the trigger and wait until the blade stops moving entirely. Then put the saw down on a clean surface. Store it nicely so that no damage can happen.
With the help of the best portable band saw, you can accomplish any task following the above steps. The best result will not come if you follow the wrong procedure. So, to get a correct cutting operation using a portable band saw, learning the right procedure is mandatory.