Are you hardly trying to drill something but the bits are not performing the way it was performing earlier? Then might be few of your bits are bad, and you are landing up to inefficient drilling performance.
Well, are you thinking to rush to your nearest hardware store to purchase a new box of drill bits? Why don’t you give a try by yourself?
The sharpening process of a drill bit is quite challenging, but not impossible. Following a few simple techniques, you also can make this so-called impossible task “I M POSSIBLE.”
Let me assist you in this regard, and I believe, after completing this D.I.Y. project, you will be able to sharpen your drill bits without any hassle.
Using a jig, you can make sure that your drill bit is grinded well to the accurate angle. If a jig is unavailable with you, you can prepare one for yourself.
So, without further delay, let’s start.
Step by step process of sharpening drill bits
- A dull drill bit.
- A bench grinder.
Part 01: By utilizing a drill sharpening jig
Step 1 – Place the dull drill bit into the jig
When everything is ready to sharp the dull drill bit, place the drill bit inside the jig. Thus, the edge of the drill bit is slightly tilted. Ensure the drill bit is placed into the slot perfectly. The drill bit has to fit directly at the middle trench of the jig.
- After that put the drill bit head near to the wheel of the grinding. But remember, not to put the drill bit head against the wheel of the grinding until you switch the grinder on.
Step 2 – Start Grinding
Switch on the grinder and the drill needs to push a bit towards the grinding wheel. Use your one hand to glide the polishing jig to and fro and using your other hand hold the drill bit counter to the grinder.
- The drill bit needs to be turned clockwise slowly.
- Make sure the edge of the drill bit is symmetric as much as possible. This task will become a lot easier as you are operating the task with a jig. If you were grinding the drill bit with free-hand, maintaining this task will be harder.
Step 3 – If required, dip the drill bit head to let it cool
Step 4 – Do a trial run after you finish the grinding
Once you accomplish grinding the drill bit, it should perform better than before. To make sure that the drill bit is sharper than before, you can give a trial run on a plank of wood or on a metal surface.
- When you are drilling on metal, make sure you are giving a well-press to the drill. Because only a sharp drill bit is not enough to do drilling on a metal, you need to give a lot of pressure on a metal surface. So, a handy drill may not be workable.
Part 02: Preparing a jig for drill sharpening
Step 1 – Take a piece of brawl wood
You don’t need to sweat your forehead to make a jig, because a small plank of offcut-sized wood will be enough to make a jig.
However, look around for an offcut-sized wood, and it has to be durable enough. If the measurement of the wood is 12” X 4”, then the size is good enough.
Step 2 – Measure it and mark it with an angle of 59°
For a drill bit, 118° angle is an ideal one. But to attain this angle, all you need to do is, estimate and streak the wood with an angle of 59° before you proceed to perform the cutting performance.
- It will be helpful if your table saw contains a protractor. Then it will be easier for you to set the 59° angle.
Step 3 – Cut the slot, following the angle mark
Switch on the table saw, push the wood slowly headed for the table saw blade. This way, the wood can pass through the blade completely. Keeping the wood straight is necessary, and for this, you can use a glide without any confusion.
- V-shaped cutting will give you a better result. If you do so, the drill bit will not displace when you hone it.
- Note down; safety google is mandatory during this type of operation. Also, your hands should not come near to the blade of the saw.
Step 4 – Inspect the slot
Once you have created a slot into the wood, remember to inspect it to confirm that the slot is excellent enough to fit the drill bit into it. If the drill bit can’t be placed into the slot, you can trim a bit wider.
- Keep your eagle eye not to cut the slot much wider. If you do so, the drill bit will not take place into it.
WARNING: If your hand gets too close to the grinding device, you may lose some of your skin. To remain safe, HAND GLOVES ARE PROHIBITED. Let me tell you why. Hand gloves can get stuck to the sharpening device and thus they may pull your hands into the device. Be careful, while working with the grinding device. Because your position is essential for safe operation. Also, don’t forget to wear a pair of eyeglasses.
To cope up with the above sharpening method, you need to do practice undoubtedly. You can’t become a PRO following the method as mentioned earlier, if you do this only once in your life.
This method will let you save your money as well as your time. Isn’t both money and time are highly valuable to you? So, start practicing and take it as your D.I.Y. project. A successful D.I.Y. project will enhance your confidence. And there is no confusion about it.